7.03.2015

Veni Vidi Vinci

It was nice to spend a few days in Gaeta.

On my mom's side I came, I saw and I conquered the rift that existed between the Dell'Annos and the Violas. Even though I am a Viola, I had been raised by Dell'Annos. My dad died two months before I was bornand I was innocently caught in the rift between the two families. I've now heard both sides of the story and more so and I don't hold any animosity toward anyone. I have one regret and that is that I should have done this year's ago. I hold in my possession the only existing picture of my dad - the one in his military uniform.

I felt such warmth in meeting my cousin, Maria Libera, who graciously came to pick me up at Hotel Serapo. She seems to be a very caring person. She told me she had been searching for me and couldn't find me because she was looking for someone named Fausto - That was originally going to be my name but my mom didn't like it so she named me Apostolo after my dad. On the ride over I was glad to hear Maria tell me how anxious her mother to see me.

She lives alone in a nice apartment building. My encounter with her was wonderful. She looked at me and seemed to be moved. She said that I was tall like my dad. We embraced and she held my hands as she looked at my face. She invited me in and started to talk. We sat in what appeared to be a dining room - the place looked very well kept. She had a gash on her leg from a recent fall. Without any prodding she somehow felt to tell her side of the story of how the rift started. It appears that when my dad died his brother offered to marry my mom but it didn't happen . She seemed to think that zio Paolo was somehow involved. She also mention the family of zio Peppino - in fact she seemed to know a little bit about all the families on my mom's side.

She told me how she liked my dad who was one of 8 children. It sounded as if she had the same relationship as my mom had with Luigi, her younger brother. She corroborated the story of how my dad died - the only additional piece of info I picked up was where dad pulled up the mine that exploded in his net-I always thought it was on the near side of Serapo beach but in actuality it was on the far side. She also mentioned that dad was a hard worker and was very good with finances in fact she mentioned that if he lived he would have been wealthy. He was quiet, didn't like trouble and always tried to make peace. He wasn't a good dancer like his brothers. All in all it was a very nice visit of about an hour's length. I was offered some pastry and something to drink. Two other ladies from the families came, one has relatives in Somerville (Albano) and will be going there for two months. this summer.
My aunt said she wanted me over for a meal where she would make a tiella, one stuffed with octopus.. I told her next time. I told her to stay well as I plan on coming back again.

No comments: