8.27.2015

Remembering Mamma

"Ma, ma, ma," I called
You didn't respond
I touched searching for a pulse
I didn't feel one

You took no last gasp
There was no visible sign
I was caught totally by surprise
You looked so at peace
Getting the best rest you'd had
in over two years

The aides had done such a wonderful job
of taking care of you that last day
It was almost as if they knew that today
you would leave for that final trip that we all will make
Made you look really good
Amidst all your suffering and pain
Once again you looked like a Rose
Blooming through the clouds of morphine
Which helped you get through those last hours

It seems like only yesterday, but time does fly
It's now been two years
And as you predicted on those times we spat
That I would one day miss you
You were oh so right, Ma
That one day came oh so soon.
I now pray for the repose of your soul

No comments: