1.28.2014

Just Want Some Air For My Tires


I don’t want to live in the past but after my running around trying to find a gas station where I could get air for my tires I couldn’t help but think of the so-called progress we made. I don’t know what we do in this country anymore as many of the manufacturing jobs have left to find a home overseas. Supposedly we are a country that is geared in service related jobs. Really?

Look at what’s happened to the service stations. There is no more service provided – not in my state that is. Many gas stations have become self-service. You do everything yourself and you pay more. I wonder who reaped the benefits from the elimination of gas station attendant jobs?

I’m aging myself but I remember when these places would give you free stuff when you filled up your tank and they did it for you. I remember collecting a set of glasses from the fill ups and you also got free road maps, calendars, key chains, and service with a smile – checking your oil and water, washing your windshields and getting green stamps. This was done when gas was 18 cents a gallon.

Today nothing is free. Most places even charge for the air for the tires.

I don’t know what happened but I visited five different gas stations this afternoon and every one of them had an out of order sign on the machine where it now costs  $1.50 for about three minutes of air. I finally gave up as I spent time and gas driving around to find a place where I could get air.

These places should no longer be called ‘service’ stations.

I just hope that what I experienced is just a local thing because if it isn’t this could be just another sign of where this country is going.

No comments: